Friday, July 31, 2009

Stubborn Stye Saga

I'm disgustingly healthy. Over the years I've managed to pretty much avoid doctors (except for medical necessity such as broken bones), but have spent more time & money in the last three weeks on a !@#&* stubborn stye! First visited a local eye doctor who tried for two week, unsuccessfully, to treat this thing. Some improvement but no cure.

He sent me to an ophthalmologist who prescribed a steroid ointment and a super antibiotic. The warnings on the antibiotic were scary -- stay away from dairy products, vitamins & sun. Do not take within two hours of a meal. Remain upright for at least 30 minutes. Then we got to the really nasty side effects. All this for only $80 (with health insurance!). Doctor also requred a referral from my primary care physician (PCP), whom I'd only met once two years ago.

PCP yesterday prescribed yet another med. His office staff is also trying to rope me in for a full physical -- along with a full battery of tests (they say it's a requirement of my health insurance!).

In the meantime, being a fan of natural medicine, I looked online for a natural cure. Interesting results! Along with the usual concoctions one would expect is the suggestion to rub the eyelid with a gold wedding ring (Does it have to be a wedding ring? Does it even have to be a ring? Would any piece of gold do?). My favorite suggestion was to grind a garlic clove into a paste and apply it to the eyelid (don't think I'll try that one). Settled on brewing a nice cup of tea and applying the tea bag to the eye while sipping the tea. I do see an improvement (couldn't have anything to do with the steroid ointment I'm also using along with the antibiotic -- could it?).

No comments: