Friday, July 31, 2009

Printer Problems

I've always used an inkjet printer but, over the years, my volume of printing has increased to the point I've been purchasing a black in cartridge every week and a set of color cartridges about once a month. In addition, the printers have only been lasting about six months before reaching the end of expected lifespan for parts. So, I'd decided, the next time this happened I'd go the laser printer route. In the meantime, a company I was connected to was giving away their inkjet printers -- and I got one.

Last Sunday my old printer announced it was on its last legs. No problem, I thought, I've got the new one. So, bright and early on Monday, ventured out to the local office supply store to purchase ink for the new machine.

When the old printer ran out of ink on Wednesday, rather than invest another $20 in an ink cartridge and have old printer give up the ghost immediately after, I decided to install the new printer. Unfortunately, my computer couldn't recognize the new printer (which came with no driver), so I called the manufacturer. An hour later they gave up, saying it was a Microsoft problem. Microsoft first told me I probably needed to upgrade my operating system (I erroneously thought it was Windows NT) and gave me a choice of Windows XP or Vista. Since I've not heard good things about Vista, I opted for Windows XP -- only to be informed that Microsoft no longersupports Windows XP! Four hours later, after talking to half the technicians in the world, my new printer was up and running.

The next morning I discovered the paper sensor on the new printer wasn't working (I bet that's why it was being given away!) and I trudged back to the local ffice supply store to pick up a really new laser printer -- which I love!

No comments: