Last month a major water main, which provided water to eastern Massachusetts, burst and the people had to contend with obtaining potable water. That first day (Saturday), I understand, the local stores were a zoo, with water disappearing off the shelves faster than it could be restocked. I dug out my largest cooking pots, filled them, and boiled the water. It was recommended to boil water for at least one minute. I am not about to stand by a hot stove watching water boil, so I went on to other tasks and the water boiled for well beyond one minute, so I wasn't concerned about water quality.
On Sunday, just as I was about to head out the door for a luncheon appointment, I received a reverse 911 call that the National Guard was handing out water between noon and four at the local middle school. On my way home from the luncheon I decided to stop by to pick up my water and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the process went. As I pulled up, a woman asked for my drivers license (to show proof of residency). I hadn't expected that and began shuffling through my purse for my license. Suddenly the woman announced, "I know you from the Senior Center, you can go on through." When I pulled up at the distribution point, the guardsman hoisted a flat of bottled water. I thought it best for him to put the flat in my trunk and pulled the lever -- nothing; I thought the trunk latch was stuck and pulled the lever three more times before I realized I was pulling the lever for the gas cap.
The next day I had an appointment with a client and, on the way home, decided to pick up some groceries. When I departed the grocery store, the traffic on the street had picked up considerably. As we inched along (45 minutes to go 1/2 mile!), I noticed that those in the left lane seemed to be going a little faster and briefly considered switching lanes. I realized, though, that further on down the road, those in the left lane would be required to turn left and I wanted to go straight, so I stayed where I was. A little further along I saw a man crossing the road with a flat of bottled water over his shoulder and thought, "Hmm, I bet they're giving out water somewhere down here." Sure enough, about a quarter mile later, those in my lane turned into a parking lot where water was being distributed. As I turned in, I realized my driver's license was in the trunk, so I popped the trunk and hopped out, retrieved my purse from the trunk, and slammed the trunk shut -- on the handles to the purse. A few tugs convinced me I would have to unlock the trunk to free the purse. Meantime, people are running up to me demanding my license. I blubbered something about having to get my license out of the trunk and people behind me being upset at the delay -- and they waved me on through.
Sometimes it helps to be a little ditzy!
Repairs to the broken main were expected to take months but, thankfully, the problem was located quickly and water service was restored on Tuesday. A sincere thank you goes out to all involved in the speedy repair and to everyone in the affected communities who spent long, hot days distributing water. I hope the other communities experienced the pleasant efficiency that my community did.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment