Sunday, June 20, 2010

Great Gift Ideas for Kids

A few years ago I had given my grandson, who lives in South Carolina (I live in Massachusetts), a talking bear (10-second message with my recorded voice) at the Teddy Bear (Factory?) store. He loved it so much he wore out the battery (which can be replaced/rerecorded at the Teddy Bear store.

A few months ago I picked up a recordable book from my local Hallmark store. It is so sweet! And it only takes a few minutes to record (very easy). I gave it to my grandson on the first night of my recent visit to South Carolina. He loved it! The other day his mother called to tell me he's already worn out the (replaceable) batteries. And he reads along with the words -- how cute!

By the end of the year Hallmark will have 12 titles. I thought I'd get my grandson one for his birthday and one for Christmas. I'm also going to get my 4-year-old grandson one for his baptism (better late than never!) and one for Christmas.

The Teddy Bear is suitable for younger children (although my soon-to-be-six-year-old grandson still loves his -- even without the voice). The Hallmark books are suitable for all ages through beginning readers. Both are terrific gifts whether the recipient is close by or far away -- but especially so when they are far away and miss the sound of your voice. They would also be great as bedtime stories for traveling parents. Actually, they would be wonderful for any child!

No comments: