Have you ever wondered what is in the food we eat? More than 14,000 laboratory-made chemicals are added to our foods to improve quality, shelf life, flavor, and appearance. Many of these synthetic additives and preservatives were developed decades ago.
Many years ago, our family doctor told me that, unless I absolutely could not make it myself, I should avoid processed foods. I generally try to stay away from foods with long lists of additives with hard-to-pronounce names. And, while you may not be able to avoid all products containing food additives, by steering clear of the chemicals listed below, your body will thank you.
Among the most common additives is artificial flavoring -- chemicals made in labs to mimic natural flavors in food. Because so many chemicals can be used to flavor foods, it can be very difficult to determine the cause of allergic reactions.
BHA and BHT are petroleum-derived chemical preservatives added to foods to prevent rancidity. They are commonly found in sausages, dried meats, crackers, cereals, and foods with added fats. The World Health Organization and the Department of Health & Human Services both consider BHA a possible human carcinogen. BHT has also been suspected of causing cancer.
Many artificial colors were developed in the early 1900s from petrochemicals and coal-tar dyes (Yum!).
MSG (monosodium glutamate) is a flavor-enhancing additive commonly used in Chinese cooking as well as in condiments, dressings, snack chips, seasonings and bouillon. MSG has been linked to a variety of unpleasant physical symptoms.
The above additives are only the most common in a very long list. I really notice a difference in the way I feel when I do not avoid processed foods with all their additives.
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Food Additives
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment